Wednesday, March 18

Just playing...Dresdens, Doilies, New Project....

I hope everyone's having a great creative week...
Well, I have the two Dresdens ready for the Pillow shams.....but, I knew this would happen... I don't have enough of the same background fabric as on the quilt to finish them off.
So unless I can source some more of the above fabric, I'll have to use a plain cream. It's such a pretty small floral print. There's nothing on the selvedge, I know I bought it locally but it's unlikely I'll find more of  it now....
 
 I bought a Cindy Needham Craftsy Class  late last year, but have been to scared to make a start and have  a go, so today was the day to just go for it.... 
 
Cindy's work is amazing....mostly FMQ, that plus the beautiful vintage look that she creates  with old linens and doilies is so beautiful and is what drew me to the class....
Here's my first attempt....I chose a dark cream Brocade background fabric, then placed a light cream napkin, that I've had forever on that. Then a lovely darker cream old cut lace doily on that...
 
Sandwiched them all together with a light batting and backing fabric..
Secured the doilies down by stitching around the edges of both doilies....now I just FMQ over the empty spaces.....now that's the scary hard part...
I've got to get it right the first time....no unpicking on these.
 
Sorry the photos are not that great....but I'm sure you  get the idea.  Cindy explains the method better and has a great website and eye candy to enjoy...
 
Back to it..
Take care and have a great day......♥
 

6 comments:

  1. Dresden *love*.........can you piece a backing of four different background fabrics? Like a big four patch, then applique your Dresdens on.
    I have done two of Cindy's classes, really awesome and I have a heap of vintage linens, just needing some time to start creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Dresdens. I also love all rose fabrics.
    great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always good to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Dresdens are so beautiful, Julia! I wonder if it would be possible to piece your remaining background fabric around the edge of some plain muslin, and then applique the Dresdens over the plain fabric? Just a thought, it's hard to see exactly how big that piece is.

    Anyway, looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've had some good suggestions for a solution on the Dresden backgrounds. I hope you are satisfied with whatever you choose.
    Your vintage linens project looks so pretty. I understand the hesitancy to start the FMQ--I would do the same.
    I have marveled recently as my younger daughter has come to quilt on my Sweet 16. She just "goes for it". I need to take a page from her book. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new Dresden and the fabrics are so beautiful, Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥