Wednesday, December 11

Been sewing and quilting...

I haven't posted for over a week, but I have been doing some sewing...not a lot, but still sewing.
 It's that time of the year when there's so much to do and so many Christmas wind up  lunches and events to attend....
....I did manage to piece together this little charm nine patch topper....smaller projects seem to be the way to go right now. Having something finished is so satisfying right now...plus it keeps my mojo going!
Perhaps you can see that I've quilted random leaves in each nine patch block....to pick up on the leaves on the sashing and border fabric...
I'm thinking of quilting swirls along the sashing and perhaps feathers on the border....got to keep up the practice with the feathers...
Another little project taking shape are these mug mats....hexies are appliqued on background, now to sandwich and quilt....feathers! 
 
A bit of beading was also fun to do, while watching TV in the evening.....♥
 
Joan's Quilt.
I was asked if I would like one of a dear beloved quilting friends quilt....sadly dear Joan passed away a few years ago...she is very much missed, we had such fun and many laughs  together in our little patchwork group.
 
I was able to choose from a few of her quilts....as soon as I saw this one I knew it had to be this log cabin quilt.
I have always wanted to make a log cabin quilt, I've only ever made a little dolls log cabin quilt....
...but more importantly and meaningful to me was that there's a little story about log cabin quilts and dear Joan.....Joan didn't particularly like the log cabin blocks.
When it was put forward about doing a log cabin group quilt...she was adamant that she was not going to participate and be in it....
  My patchwork friends who read my blog and were in the group with Joan at the time will smile and remember it well....
Fondly remembering Joan.....
 

7 kind people said..:

Leeanne said...

How lovely to get one of your special friends quilts.
I like the ninepatch, like a jewel box.

Terri D. said...

What a wonderful gift to receive, to remember your dear friend. I always enjoy seeing your amazing work!!

Lois Evensen said...

What a lovely way to remember your friend. Very pretty quilt.

Pokey said...

Give yourself a hug from Joan as you wrap up in that lovely quilt. I'm glad the family remembered you when they shared it.
I think those hexie mug rugs are very sweet, especially with your great fussy cutting ~
:-}pokey

Janet O. said...

What a fun 9-patch. I would have used black sashing just because it is my "go to" color for scrap quilts, but I really like it with the lighter color. Sometimes you have to see someone else do something in order to realize how good it looks. : )
Very tender to get to have one of your friend's quilts. It is a pretty one.

Sue SA said...

How lovely to have a special quilt to remember your friend by. Nice nine patches.

Shirley said...

What a lovely reminder of your friend Julia. I think my friend will only inherit boxes of unfinished ones.. Love the baubles.x