Saturday, October 5

Feathering...well, practicing!

If I've learnt one thing about FMQ...
...it is to keep on practicing...even if you stop practicing for a few days, it so hard to get that rhythm / free flowing motion going again...
..but, I do think I'm getting better...not perfect, just better!
Sorry you can't see the quilting too well...  it's hard to get a real nice close up without the picture going fuzzy.
I used Aurifil Mako 50 thread on top and Bottomline in the bobbin.. getting that tension just right can be so frustrating at times...
The other thing I struggle with is what quilting to do...For this topper I tried a couple of different quilting ideas, unpicked and ended up cross-hatching across the nine patches ...keeping it simple.
 
Have a great weekend...stay safe...♥
 

7 kind people said..:

Terri D. said...

Your work always looks perfect to me!

Janet O. said...

I like cross-hatching, Julia. I don't think you can go wrong with it. Looks good on this quilt.
When I enlarge the last photo I can barely see the feathers--they are great! : )

The Quilted Finish ph 02 63310084 said...

I promise you do get better at the machine quilting, just keep it up! I have had a longarm quilting machine for 3 !/2 years and I still have trouble with the tension occasionally ...but it does get easier, my advice with the tension is to get a scrap piece and really play around with your tension so you learn to understand what happens when you loosen it and tighten it, it becomes a lot less mysterious, ha ha. Happy quilting :))

Leeanne said...

Great going! We all have problems with tension issues.

About Bali said...

Bali Hotels
Bali Resorts
Kuta Hotels
Seminyak Hotels
Indonesia Bali Hotels
Jakarta Hotels
Nice Post... :) :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I clicked on the photo to enlarge it and can see your beautiful feathers! Some day I'll learn how to do them!

FlourishingPalms said...

You're so right about practicing, Julia! I just taught a FMQ class on Friday and that's one of two things I stress to students. The other is "attitude." A quilter needs to be positive about wanting to learn. Otherwise, FMQing won't be successful for them. I too struggle with WHAT to quilt. One of the tools that has been really helpful is an acrylic sheet and dry erase markers. I did a post about it, in case you missed it. Might be a little bit helpful to you. http://flourishingpalms.blogspot.com/2013/07/bloomin-quiltin.html
But I will say, I think you're doing beautifully. By the way, you can get better close-up pictures with your camera if you're sure to change a setting. Be sure to push the button that makes a little flower appear on your screen. That flower means "close-up." Hope this helps you too!