Saturday, August 17

Treadling, and a practice...that's it!

Well here we are at the end of another week...and what have I done...not much!...
....because I'm still hand-quilting the Dresdens.
I thought I would dust off my old 1926 Singer Treadle, oil her and give her a bit of sewing time.
 
I think "Ursula" as I call her is a bit unusual as she has her tension and threading path at the back...

Oh dear, I forgot to dust off the back before I took this photo...but I think you can see the tension there....
 
she comes complete with her ornate cabinet...
I cut up some 2 inch strips for a new scrap buster quilt....so at the moment I'm just sewing them up together...a bit slow on Ursula, but that's ok.
It takes me back to when I was about eleven years old, learning to sew on my friend mother's treadle...during the winter months, we used to set it up near the old Metters wood oven in the kitchen and make little things like aprons and doll clothes for our school fete every year in spring...♥

...and just another little practice piece..
 
Have a lovely weekend...take care...♥

9 kind people said..:

Janet O. said...

I love your treadle machine, Julia. What a beauty.
And look at you go on the feathers! Wonderful job!!

Leeanne said...

I have two lovely old treadles, but I am hopelessly un co ordinated!
Quilting practice is looking great.
Happy weekend to you!

Terri D. said...

I think it is wonderful that your old Ursula still works and that you are using her! Really wonderful!

Shirley said...

It is a beautiful piece of machinery there Julia and in great condition. The decals look pristine. I remember using my mums treadle and mastering the treadle is a real skill. The practice piece looks good.

loulee said...

When I was a little girl, a friend of my mothers used to make felt dolls on a treadle machine. He husband bought her an electric machine, but Linda went back to her treadle, saying it was easier.
Her dolls were beautiful, I still have two of them here.

The Quilted Finish ph 02 63310084 said...

What a lovely treadle machine, I don't think I have ever seen a Singer like yours. I have one called a Bebarfalds Bluebird, it has really pretty bluebird decals, it's a vibrating shuttle treadle, not a round bobbin. I made a blouse for my daughter on it years ago and used it to piece when we had blackouts! It's a bit of fun using the treadle machines and they stitch beautifully.
Your feathers look really great! Practice does pay off, one of life's few certainties, lol.

Sue SA said...

What a gorgeous machine, wish I had someone to tell me how to use my hand cracked one...keep getting distracted by sewing projects!

Elyte said...

A nice change of pace.
Your quilting practice is paying off.

Paula Hensley Murphy said...

Love the machine