Friday, July 12

This and that...Dresdens, Coverlet, book.

Gosh, nearly another week gone already.
As you can see by the photos, I've been busy hand-quilting and machine quilting..
The Dresden's hand-quilting is coming along beautifully, all the cross-hatching in the background is nearly done. I can't wait to start on the setting triangles, I don't know how it will go, but I'm going to try and replicate the Dresden block in quilting for the setting tri's....we'll see!
 
♥♥♥♥♥
 
The coverlet is quilted, I started out FMQ meandering hearts, thinking it would be in keeping with the romantic roses, but it just didn't work for me.  The meandering took away from the beautiful floral rose fabrics / diamonds.  So after a couple of hours unpicking I decided to ditch stitch along the diamonds both ways, cross-hatching....perfect... in this case it was less is more.
It's all together, I just need to pick up a long zip for the closer, then I'll take a photo of it on the bed.
 
Now, of course I'll need pillow shams to go with the coverlet, so hopefully this little pile of scraps will be enough for  matching pillow shams....
♥♥♥♥♥
 
Sorry this photo is a bit glary and not very clear.
I found this in a 1930's quilt pattern book I have called "Treasures from the '30's" by Nancy Mahoney..
 
 
....isn't just like the Steam Punk block doing the rounds in blog land.
I don't think this is one I would do right now, there are other lovelies in the book that caught my eye.
 
Hope you have a lovely weekend...
Take care...♥
 
 

17 comments:

  1. Fantastic progress on the coverlet Julia! I am sure you will be happy with the quilting after all that UN-quilting!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dresden quilt is going to be just beautiful! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dresden quilt is gorgeous! Love the hand quilting.:) So funny about the airship propeller quilt. Someone makes a quilt with old blocks in new, modern fabrics, calls it a great name and wallah! It's a hot new trend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! your hand quilting is looking fabulous and I am sure you will work around the Dresden's beautifully too.
    Oh no not unpicking on your coverlet again... Yes sometimes you can over quilt.. I prefer less ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be so pretty. Love those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing such a nice job on the hand quilting, and I like your idea for the triangles. Hope it goes well.
    Sorry you had to do so much unpicking, but I can see how the SITD would look better on the duvet cover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Julia,

    Amazing hand quilting, a lot of work but so worth it,much prefer this style of quilting rather than the machine done one. Have a lovely weekend.
    Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving that Dresden beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a Beaturiful Dresden Plate!!!
    I just love the colours!! So sweet!
    Love, Ria.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your hand quilting is looking just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely beautiful hand quilting! I love 30s fabrics, but I don't have that book. I'm going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cross-hatching is a great quilting choice on this quilt. I love it!

    myquiltingnotebook.ning.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that cross hatch quilting on the Dresden, it really makes it!!! Look forward to seeing your coverlet and shams completed, this is going to look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to seeing the finished coverlet. Your Dresden's look more beautiful every time you show them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Dresdens continue to look great -- that's a lot of impressive stitching.
    I totally understand about the less is better idea. It's too bad that taking out stitches isn't nearly as quick as putting them in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, the Airship Propeller pattern is exactly the same as the Steam Punk! Isn't that something?!?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥