Monday, May 27

New Project....doona cover...

Today feeling a bit lost, didn't know what I wanted to do....all I have in progress at this time is my Dresden hand-quilting....and paper piecing hexagons....both long sit down sewing work. Really didn't feel like doing either one...
Just last Saturday at the craft fair while having lunch at our bloggers meeting, I was saying to the girls that I would like to make a feather Doona / Duvet cover...so sick of the old one, that's many years old!

So I thought I'd have a go at a Doona / Duvet cover....but what pattern!
Flipped through a few magazines...nothing jumped out at me. Then a light bulb moment...why not a Jane Austen coverlet as a feather doona cover. I love repro quilts and this seemed the perfect choice..
What I worked out to do, to make the diamonds is....cut a 4 1/4 inch strip.....
Then using my 12" square ruler and  the 60 degree line on my ruler, line it up to cross cut the diamonds...
....just had to make sure I cut them 4 1/4 inches long the same as the width of the strip...just make sure the 45 degree ruler line in the middle runs across from point to point...
Now for the sashing, I cut 1 1/2 inch strips...cross cut...also on a 60 degree angle 4 1/4 inches long..
After I sew the diamonds and sashing into strips I will join them together with long strips of sashing..
I'm using up my rose / floral fabrics for a soft scrappy romantic look.
Well that's my thinking and idea on how I'll go about it.....lets hope it works!
 
Isn't it nice to work on something different....with a bit of a challenge!
Hope your having time to sew today.....♥


10 comments:

  1. Well Julia, not only is it going to be a great project but it will be so pretty too. Love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this will be so lovely Julia,cant wait to see it finished.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. I love your choice of fabrics for this one and am looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what cover you mean, but the idea of the block is very good! Love to see the result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to google "doona cover" to see what you were making. I'm familiar with a duvet cover, and looks like they're two names for the same thing --and I don't have either :)
    Your creativity is on a roll again, Julia. I'm not very accurate with angles and my rulers, but it looks like you know exactly what you're doing. Thanks for sharing, and happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diamonds sound so doable once you explain them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never have figured this out, but it is beautiful, Julia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea for a doona cover, just love the fabrics you are using!!! I think will look just fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I'm inspired.... I love it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥