Sunday, September 9

It's Quilted...phew!

That was a lot of quilting...phew!
Lots of double hearts and loops...looks really pretty. I found it quite tiring even though I was sitting to quilt, but Sweet Susie lived up to her name...she was a real sweetie and  was a dream to quilt with, the 16 inch throat makes all the difference...no more struggling to fit the quilt all under a small domestic sewing machine throat. The only trouble I had to start with was getting the tension right...lots of fiddly about, adjusting the top tension, but I got it in the end...
I don't think the quilting shows up too well here, I used So Fine by Superior Threads,  a lovely large cone of it came as an extra with the machine...it very fine,blended in beautifully with all the different coloured fabrics.. next time I'll try a heavier weight thread...
Just because it's so pretty, here's my lovely potted Red Wings Azalea  plant in full bloom...

At last it's a lovely warm spring day...just gorgeous outside....
Hope your having a great weekend...

12 comments:

  1. Glad all is going well with your your new machine. Interesting about the tension troubles, I hope you can sort that out.
    Pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia

    Nice finish!!

    I noticed you said you had worked with So Fine. A fav of mine along with bottom line.

    Cheers

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to have that 16" throat, isn't it?
    Whenever I change thread (even if it is the same brand that I had just used, but a different color), I test my tension on a sample sandwich. For me it usually takes a little tweaking to get it right after a thread change. I just used Aurafil thread for the first time and I really like the way the back looks as good as the front.
    I can barely see your quilting in the close-up. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on the finish Julia. Enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Glad you are liking the new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful - you must feel so proud ! cheers Teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks beautiful. I am so proud of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should be very proud of your beautiful quilt and quilting Julia. Yes, tension issues can take some time to figure out, but once you get it right.....it's a breeze. Having a larger throat on you machine makes life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! So exciting using your new machine for the first "real" quilt. You'll get the hang of the tension before too long. I always test the tension on each bobbin change even if I'm using the same thread, I just use a scrap of fabric and some scrap batting, it's worth it to avoid unnecessary unpicking!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so proud of you for finishing the first quilt off your new machine! That's just wonderful! I'm sure you'll get better and better, and in no time be quilting like a whiz. It DOES take a while to quilt though, doesn't it? Sometimes longer than piecing the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like Janet above, I also use my practice sandwich and check on the tension every single time I change my bobbin. I never did that with my domestic machine, but I've become a better machine owner and more careful quilter with my Sweet 16. Taking that little extra time to check the tension with the sample fabric is a great step to feeling confident as you quilt, quilt, quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The quilt is lovely. And so is the quilting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥