Sunday, July 15

Biscornu...just for fun!

Just for fun and a little something different from patchwork, I thought I'd give this a try...

While surfing the net a few days ago, I came across a little pincushion called a "Biscornu"
Well. me being me, I just had to have a go at making one.
The way I made mine is:
I first cut two pieces 5 inches x 5 inches square of 14 count Aida cloth.
I then picked out a design to work on it...You will find some lovely biscornu's to look at and also some great little cross stitch graphs here .
Find the centre of the square and work the design from the centre out, work the same design on both pieces of Aida cloth
Then I measured 2 inches out from the centre on all four sides, to give me a 4 inch square...
With the same two strands of cotton I then worked a back stitch all the way around the square....leaving me a half inch seam to work with when putting the biscornu together.
I also came across this site that shows great pictures on how to put the biscornu together.
I followed these instructions to put the biscornu together...while it is a bit fiddly to do, it does get easier as you go.

They have been around for a while, but if you haven't made one...you might like to have a go..
It was fun and a bit different to do..

                                                               Have a great weekend.......♥

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Julia! I made a pincushion in that shape, but not with the aida cloth ant cross stitch. That is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea for a pincushion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sweetest little pincushion. You always find the most interesting projects, and you get them done! That's what's the most impressive.

    Do you still get out and use your EQ7? a lot? now and then? I'm considering buying it, but I'm checking on opinions first. I remember that you took online classes so you would use it more, and you made some lovely designs using it. Not sure whether I want to spend the money. I belong to an organization where I could save $37 off the list price of $189, but that's still a lot of money.

    Any input you can give me would be appreciated, Julia. I value your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made mine with just fabric squares but have been going to have a go at a cross-stitch one. Love yours, very beautiful. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet little pincushion!!! Lovely little piece of cross-stitch too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made a few biscornus in the past, Julia - mostly for exchanges, but kept one of my own making just for me (and it won a prize at our local show!) I don't make them any more because my fingers can no longer manipulate the fabric when the edges have to be stitched. But be warned - they are addictive!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a local craft group, we are making a 15-side biscournu. And this is my first time too.

    Can I have the right URL for the site that you've mentioned on how to form the biscournu? All the help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥