Saturday, February 18

Look what's happened !!...

There I was, sitting quietly in the family room, DH was down the other end of the house...and I heard a loud crash / smash noise...first thought was DH....heart pounding...has he fallen!
Dh comes up from the bathroom  and looks out of the glass sliding door, and sees this, the glass top exploded and shattered into hundreds of tiny pieces......Well, I have seen this sort of thing on the TV news, but never thought it would happen to us...

The set is a few years old, but still in good nick...but can you see where the pottery fish landed... It was sitting in the centre of the glass table.....how amazing / lucky was that! 
I carried that fish as hand luggage all the way from Malaysia, I bought it from a pottery factory there, when on tour...while it's not worth much, it means a lot to me...memories of the great time we had on that tour...
Looks like we'll be shopping for a new set next week...a wooden set.
Not worth claiming it on insurance, the up front $ excess would not be worth it...
Thank goodness there were no little ones around...
Take care...♥

27 comments:

  1. WoW Julia - thankfully no one was hurt!!! My other half has worked with glass and he has said on many occasions how unstable it can be...Take care.. Sharon x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how scary! I'm so thankful no one was injured and I'm glad your pottery survived. Hope you both will have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, I have been thinking of getting one of these... i guess i won't be doing that now, Thank goodness it wasn't in the middle of a family BBQ with a fully laden table

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the very same thing happen to me. One morning it just went bang... a million pieces. Luckily my insurance did cover it and I had the glass replaced. The new glass has a lifetime warranty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad that you were both safely out of the way. Do you think that the heat that you have had in the west contributed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had exactly the same thing happen to us with our setting a few years back...Our NRMA insurance covered it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness. so pleased no one was hurt Julia.

    Love your fish. Nice it did not break too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I bet that made a huge noise. Your poor fish may need therapy! Tracee xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that you were not having a dinner party! I think that a wooden set is called for. I would be to afraid of another glass table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness nobody was nearby when it happened! And how lucky your fish landed safely! I've heard of this happening so I won't have a glass table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, thank goodness no one was sitting there. This happened to my best friend once and she severed a tendon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh I can't believe that has happened to so many other people! It happened to us a few years ago. I came home from work and found glass all over the brick patio. I accused the kids next door of chucking rocks over the fence (we were not on good terms with those neighbours) and they were most indignant. They said they might be noisy and rude to us, but they would never go that far. We had only had our patio setting for less than a year, so I phoned the manufacturer, and they replaced the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank goodness there was no one around, not just little ones. What a shock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good grief! I'm sure your heart was thumping wildly for a while, both with the initial noise and after you saw what happened. As so many others have said, how fortunate that no one was hurt. Oh my -- I'm thinking about all that cleanup. Hopefully you won't be finding shattered glass for years.
    Your lovely fish knows how to land beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! Julia! Just as well there was no one near or sitting at the table at the time! I think a timber table is definitely the way to go, that is what I have, never been that keen on the glass tables, now I know why!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I have never heard of that. Thanks Heavens no one got hurt. Was it because of the heat?

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, that's pretty scary. my mum and dad had their glass oven door explode one day when dad was cooking some pizza

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey-- I think I heard that loud bang here, too--oh--that's right it was just the fireworks next door at the Hotel for there ice display and party they were having!!!!!
    That is something though, your table--
    why not just get a wood or metal top made for the table base????
    Hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a shocking event Julia! Glad no one was hurt... you should try ringing the manufacturer. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm glad nobody was hurt. Why do those glass tops break like that?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. What a story! Was it extremely hot outside? Wonder what could have prompted that...

    ReplyDelete
  22. This happened to us a few years ago, we have replaced it with another glass table and ensured that it is a tempered glass top this time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lucky nobody was hurt and thank God the fish survived it! I saw on one of the Current Affairs shows a couple of years ago there was a big problem with the glass shattering from those tables. I think a wooden one is definately the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read on someone's blog the same thing happening...just as well you weren't having a family gathering...
    Glad to hear you are both safe.
    Wood sounds Good.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing Julia - spooks me a little!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  26. I had this happen to me too - did it come from Target?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥