Thursday, January 26

Happy Australia Day...our sunburnt country.

Today the 26th January is our national Australia Day.
We are having a heatwave...a whole week or more of very high temperatures...very much a sunburnt country,

Here you can read about our HistoryWe are having a very warm day of 41 degrees Celsius today so I think there will be a lot of barbecues getting fired up here today.
There's nothing like a barbie, it doesn't matter if you have just eaten, the smell of a neighbours barbecue, just makes you want to have one too.
I'd like to share a couple of Aussie things with you...
These are my Dh's great books of poems by two very famous Aussies and illustrated by another famous Aussie Pro Hart..

Here's a little piece from another great Aussie poem written by Dorothea Mackellar
MY COUNTRY
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!
Proud to be Australian..
From my heart...♥

14 comments:

  1. Me too! Happy Australia Day Julia. It is hot here (36c) but not as hot as you guys. Keep cool and enjoy your BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Australia Day! :) What a beautiful country you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Australia Day! Hope you have a wonderful day spent with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Julia, I wish you Hapy Australia Day.
    Here is not so hot,we have +2Grad C.
    Greetings and Hugs from Germany from Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that poem and I too have that Banjo Patterson book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Australia Day Julia. I have read that poem and it is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope your day was great Julia, hugs to you from a little cooler Ballarat, not for long though, it seems we're heating up this weekend...
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Australia Day!! We're trying not to get flooded here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful poem...I have always been fascinated by Austrailia. It is one place I would really love to go visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard your temps are going to remain high this week, while we battle with flood waters over on the east coast! Sure is a land of contrasts.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit Australia in person, too. Hope you have had a nice day. Nothing smells better than a barbie.
    Thanks for sharing your dh's poetry books. I love poetry and the one you shared is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!! Oi Oi Oi!
    Pity about the event in Canberra though. We had a beaut day here (perfect 26 deg.)with a dozen friends, nice salads and lots of bubbly ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A belated Happy Australia Day to you! In honor of your country, I'm making pavlova this weekend. I learned about it from an Australian quilter-friend, and now I make it every year. I will even top it with canned passion fruit brought back from Oz. I can't find canned passion fruit here in the US. By the way, that poem is in the front of the book "In a Sunburnt Country," written by Bill Bryson, born here in good 'ole Des Moines, Iowa. It's one of my favorite reads. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend doing so.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥