Sunday, December 18

Japanese Twister..

 After seeing so many Twisters out there in blogland, and after finding a great tut on Linda, Quilts in the Barn blog... I just had to do one...

I really wanted to use up some of my scraps....so I searched through my scraps and found enough Japanese fabrics left over from a quilt I did a few years ago...Here you can see my Japanese quilt..
Then I needed some background fabric...I was thinking Indigo, but I didn't have enough, then I thought Orange..yes, Orange and the Japanese blue fabrics go well together. 

So, I pieced the squares together and started cutting and sewing the pinwheels together. Can you see what happened...I started out with 49" pieced blocks and border to end up with 29" of a row of pieced blocks...
Well, I just had to keep going with it now...it will be a lovely table topper for someone..
To frame the twister pinwheels I added 1" sashing..

The fabric left after I finished cutting out the pinwheels looked like swiss cheese, I trimmed back the pieces to 4 1/2' then cut them across the diagonal into half square triangles and added them to the outside, I think Orange binding will add a nice finishing touch..

Ok, I satisfied myself by doing the twister, but I don't think I would do another just now...♥

19 comments:

  1. Very cute and bright Julia. It does look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful & wht a lovely idea. The fabrics are perfect!

    Merry Christmas
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great Julia. Well done on finishing a lovely work of art ....even if you don't want to do another of those in a hurry, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Japanese Twister is wonderful! I love how you did the border! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! I popped over to see the tutorial,very clever. I quilted one of these quilts for a customer a while back, but I never really understood how they were made...so thank you!
    Your Japanese quilt that these fabrics came from is lovely, very 'samplery' looking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia it looks amazing great fabrics! and great background choice. I love it.
    I have the ruler but have not ventured into making it yet..Have a great holiday

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made several small twisters and one large twister quilt, but mine didn't have quite the charm that yours does. I really like the way you used your Swiss cheese leftovers. It's not easy to find a use for those bias-edged chunks.
    I like the orange. You're right. It does look good with your other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful Julia. I love the bright orange. Good on you using up scraps. Tracee xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Julia - RPG girls have been talking about Twister so I think I might have a little play - you've twisted my arm, lol!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very charming and the orange is perfect for it. Such an interesting process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so great Julia. I think it must have been fairly quick to do. It would make a nice baby quilt so next time I have to make one of those, I'll think of the twister.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julia - I love the orange with your fabrics. It really sets them off well. And I like your border!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your use of Japanese fabrics. The Twister quilts are so much fun to make. Love how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a fun project with great results. Another good way to use up those scraps that seem to accumulate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great quilt! I've made two twister quilts and find them quite fun, but it's difficult for this frugal German to get past the fabric waste. You did a great job of using your leftover bits! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great border idea! I saw someone who took the leftover ("wasted") pieces and bought one of the smaller twister tools and used those wasted pieced with the smaller tool to make a twister border....was very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Must have been interesting watching it turn out. I do like your new look blog - very fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your twister turned out great! I still haven't tried this technique although I have all the gizmo's, maybe in 2012!!! Have a lovely Christmas and New Year!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥