Saturday, July 9

Quilt-As-You-Go,,,,DP's

Well, now that I have the centre medallion and one section of DP's together and hand-quilted, I thought I would share how I am going to put this DP quilt together in my way of the QAYG method...of course there are several ways of doing this, but I think this will work the best for me on this quilt... With each section hand-quilted....press and lay flat on cutting mat....fold back under the backing fabric , so as not to accidentally cut it....

..... we only want to trim back the top and batting at this stage... make sure you measure carefully and just trim back the top and cut away the excess batting....



...at this stage I now have the backing still folded back, and also the top folded back, pin in place to hold out of the way.... I now need to trim back an extra 1/4 inch of the batting only, so that this batting section will butt up to the next sections batting when trimmed back...are you still with me?...........

This is how each section should look after all the trimming has been done...

I have the top trimmed to size with a 1/4 " seam allowance..

The batting underneath is a 1/4 " smaller all around than the top...we don't need the seam allowance on the batting....

The backing is left for now until later when it is trimmed back after two sections have been machined together..

Here I have added a 1/4" peeper border to the top only.before I join this medallion to another section that I have hand-quilted and ready to be joined on....

I prepared this second section the same way as the first, trimming back the same as before...I have trimmed back the top and batting, leaving the backing till later...

With right sides together, mark the centre of each piece...fold back the backing fabrics on both pieces....pin in place making sure to line up the centres and the edges....machine stitch a scant 1/4" seam....

The front should look like this...backing fabric folded back, a beautiful stitched seam in the front tops..

Turn work to the back...cut away ONE side only of the backing fabric just to meet the stitched seam...

You can if you like slip stitch the butted batting together, but I find I don't need to here, it's very narrow and sitting lovely and flat...it's not going to move, the hand-quilting comes right up to it..

Trim away the remaining side of backing fabric to 1inch....


Fold back a 1/2" of this 1" strip and slip stitch in place...

Press seam flat...ta dah....beautiful!!

I will go on and join each piece as I go in this way...joining another DP piece to the other side of the medallion, and then after I have three more sections of DP's joined together, they will get joined on top of that

I hope It's clear and easy to understand....enjoy...♥

16 comments:

  1. Nice clear demo.Your quilt looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going in my list of posts to remember for later.
    Thanks Julia.
    Hugs Pia

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW love your quilt too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a civilised way to put a large quilt together!!! It is going to look wonderful! Your instructions were clear, but I did get a little side tracked when you put the peeper border onto the central square section. Perhaps I will discuss this with you via email, so I wont't take up space here!!! I love the handquilting you did on the centre piece, very nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was with you all the way Julia. Have read it all and understood it and now want to give it a go. Your work is always so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It`s wonderful.The tutorial is very clear.

    Happy quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful Julia! Thanks for the tutorial too. I've always wanted to try this and now I know how! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial and it is looking very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hhhhm. I think that I am with Merilyn here. I got a little lost at the peeper border part. Does the peeper border have a raw edge to sew the second piece to?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your hand-quilting, and the little peeper border! Thanks for sharing this technique! Your pictures really helped! I can't wait to order that medallion pattern! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Julia
    Fantastic tutorial. Best I have ever seen for this technique.
    Cheers
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your clear directions, Julia. I've machine quilted queen and king-sized quilts in sections using pretty much the same steps. I hadn't thought about hand quilting in sections as well. Why put stress on our arms and shoulders and back if we can do it in sections?
    Your quilt is as lovely as I knew it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have wondered about doing this for years - now you gave me the courage to try it :O)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been playing around with this sort of thing for a while with books and classes - but this seems the best so far - thanks for such a clear tutorial...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥