Friday, December 17

Braiding Quilt and Cocktails.....

no, not at the same time..!
This time a few years back we had a wonderful Christmas and New year in Singapore..

For me the highlight of that trip was sitting in the Raffles Hotel sipping a Singapore Sling in the centre courtyard...There's just something magical about the Raffles...a pianist was playing, "Love is a Many Splendid thing"...

I sat there thinking about what it must have been like there in those days gone by...all the history of the Raffles, the celebrities that passed through there........oh it was so romantic ! Christmas evening we had dinner there and they served drinks in the little snowman. Of course I just had to bring home ...very carefully as hand luggage, the Singapore Sling glass and snowman ...Nice to look back on lovely memories like this......♥

While DH was watching TV yesterday afternoon, I popped down to my sewing room and whipped up these braided pieces...I have been wanting to have a go at this braiding and use up some fabric from my stash.
It's great fun, I was amazed at how quick and easy it is to do...I still have to make them much longer, and of course trim them back.
I'm thinking I'll add a strip border print in between each braid..

Well, that's me for this week...have a wonderful weekend. It's crazy out there....Take care on the roads....♥

12 comments:

  1. Thsoe are pretty...maybe I will go and look for a pattern to do the same...looking for stuff to do in this hotel room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful memories Julia! These little braids remind me of the ones we made with chewing gum wrappers when I was a kid. These are beautiful! Love to you and Reno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty designs ... great memories ... love Singapore Slings, Julia.

    Have a lovely winter's day ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quilt is going to be amazing...I have always wanted to try a braid quilt!! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pioneer braid pattern, one of my favorites! I am piecing a braid quilt for my bedroom. Yours will be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful to have such lovely memories and little momentos of the occasion. Life is full of these moments to cherish...

    Your braids are looking good. Have fun playing arount with them!

    Hope you have a really happy Christmas with lots of laughter and family and friends ( and of course a cocktail )

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great, can't wait to see it finished. The fabrics are so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a small braided piece started...buried in my UFO pile somewhere! What a cute snowman you brought home from that Singapore trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had a Singapore Sling in years. Brings back memories.

    I made a braid quilt several years ago and have wanted to make another. Just not taken time to do it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how your braids are looking there Julia! Another thing for me to try at some point! 8-)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The braids are just wonderful..love the fabrics!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely memories fo Singapore. I remember making the braids but I can't remember what it was for. Yours are pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥