Saturday, October 30

Bloggers Quilt Festival...

Come and join in the fun with Amy's Creative Side and the 2010 Bloggers Quilt Festival.
Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival
So many amazing and inspiring quilts to see....I decided to join in with my Dresden and Dolly quilt

I wanted to make a quilt for my queen size bed.....some romantic roses, in a tradtitonal pattern. ..I hand-quilted the background in a cross-hatch design and around all the dresden petals...the border is quilted in a swag design..

I kept going back to this book, "The Fabric of Society" by Annette Gero...and the beautiful 1830's Dancing Dollies coverlet in the book....and to have the pattern in the book to use was a bonus!

There's so much to read, in this book, and so inspirational.....I loved reading about our Aussie quilting history. I really knew nothing about our quilt history before receiving this book.

Above is original 1830's coverlet that I fell in love with...Here is the dollies in the making..... I think the Dresden's and Dollies were a perfect match and compliment each other beautifully!....
Have a lovely day....♥

24 comments:

  1. One of my favorite quilts Julia. It is just stunning. Wishing you and Reno a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes.....it's lovely!!...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the dollies and they are perfect with the Dresden plates. Your quilting is beautiful too. Thanks for sharing how you came up with your quilt design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molto bella la tua trapunta!
    Ciao Domenica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julia that's one of my favourite quilts of yours. I just love the gawjus colours and the old fashioned romantic look of it. You really did make a beautiful quilt there :o)!!!
    Hugs,
    Joy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt! the ladies in the border is just a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, love, love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt looks stunning on the bed!

    Loved seeing the border that was the inspiration for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous quilt! and the dollies are such a creative and delightful border...I love everything about this quilt, it's a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely quilt and thanks for sharing the inspiration. You did a great job recreating it.
    Come see my antique 1890 schoolhouse quilt

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a pretty quilt - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved watching you make this quilt. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous quilt. Annette Gero is an inspiration to all Aussie quilters. I met her at one of the craft shows, and she is such a lovely, unassuming person, willing to discuss not only her book, but anything to do with patchwork and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a beautiful quilt Julia - the colours are beautiful and the work is too.....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is one of my favorites! Glad you put it in the show :)

    SHeilaC

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my... that is just lovely.......I do love a hand quilted grid on a traditional looking quilt. Its just beautiful!

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julia, I'm glad you put this quilt in the BQF. It's my favorite and I often think of it and will one day finished mine like this - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful quilt!! Your next project looks like another heirloom in the making!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooooh very pretty. Love the border.
    The book looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh yes, this is one of my ALL TIME favourites!! I LOVE this quilt!! Thanks for sharing it!!
    Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I'm glad you're sharing your quilt in the BQF Julia. I love those dolls around the border and the hand quilting is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful version of this quilt. I just love how you have kept the general theme but made it different at the same time. Fabulous. I love that book too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful quilt - I really like the border. I've never seen a border like that before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥