Tuesday, August 31

Tuesday's Treasure..

Not too much sewing getting done...sew much to finish off, but not enough time!

This beautiful tin was my sewing box in primary school, looking at it now it seems a lot smaller than I remember it being.
This really takes me back to my childhood and remembering the happy times spent stitching and where my love of sewing started.
I have had this tin for over fifty years, it's still my all time favourite of all my tins, and I do have a few, I would very carefully fold up my little sewing projects in it.
I remember doing drawn thread worked on linen, that's something I would love to get back into.
The cross stitch worked on gingham aprons, also the beautiful doilies of crinoline ladies and baskets of flowers with embroidered bows trailing out of the handles.

It's such a shame that this type of stitching is not done/taught in schools anymore

This is a better picture I found online of the one on the tin It's called,

"The Age of Innocence" by Joshua Reynolds .

Have a lovely day....♥

20 comments:

  1. Julia, I love your tin. That is so sweet and what lovely memories you have of sewing as a young girl. Truly a treasure. Give my best to Reno. You two have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet memories and that tin is just beautiful !!
    What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rememer Mother having gorgeous tins like this, Julia. I would treasure your beauty ...
    Have a beautiful eve ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tin is just lovely - and the perfect picture for a girls sewing box.... Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tin is so beautiful! I know that you will take good care of it:-)

    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Julia is very pretty i love art....
    Hugs
    Deni

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful thing to still have and the link to your childhood is great. Some people think Joshua Reynolds is too 'Chocolate Box' but I love pretty things and find his painting delightful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree that it is a shame sewing is not taught in primary schools anymore. I wish I still had my samplers from then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sewing tin. Does it still hold any of your early sewing bits and pieces? The design on your little tin suits you down to the ground. I wonder if it helped influence your love of delicate sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all those old tins ( and the newer reproductions). Lucky we collect so many little things that can be housed in these tins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful tin Julia! I imagine that would be a real collector's item today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love your tin. It's so nice that you still have this. I started collecting old tins too - mainly the old tin lunch pails. They have such cute designs on them and they're wonderful for keeping sewing supplies in too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing this treasure with us, Julia, how very special I am sure it holds a life-time of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely little treasure for you Julia and that picture really does say the age of innocense. It looks to have a very pretty border around that picture that would make a lovely quilt design.
    Love Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the little tin and the illustration is just adorable .

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous tin , so pretty !
    Thanks for showing us and playing along .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing - I love it - I've never seen anything like it, what a wonderful treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tin is gorgeous and filled with lots of happy stitchy memories - Just wonderful.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Didn't we love our bikkie and chockie tins in our school days!! I still have my tin with The Red Boy on the front, which held my Derwent pencils. It is a bit battered around after 50 plus years, but I can't bring myself to part with it, in spite of having collected many more 'collectable' tins since then!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥