Wednesday, June 9

Strip Quilting

I've been having a play with strip tube quilting...it's amazingly easy and so quick to do...would be great for donation quilts or just a pretty quilt for your self....great for Jelly Rolls.

I cut and joined together two 2 1/2 inch strips the whole width of the floral fabric together...pressed them open, then cut a 4 1/2 inch strip of contrasting green fabric...with the right sides of fabrics together I then sewed them together along both sides to make a long tube....

With my 60 degree ruler I cut out these in what look like triangles, but when opened up they are really diamonds....You just alternate the ruler up and down on the fabric along the whole length until you have them all cut....
I felt the green was a bit too strong / bright and added pretty pink diamond fillers to break it down a bit...alternately you could piece four 2 1/2 inch strips together into a tube...that would look great too!

There's a great tutorial here you might like to check out...they have used a Companion ruler which gives you quarter triangles and forms a big squares when four pieces are joined together...
So many ways you can place the pieces together....it's very much up to your choice and imagination as too how you want your quilt to turn out....have a play and see what you come up with...♥

14 comments:

  1. Very unique and pretty colors too. You amaze me Julia! Has your weather remained cool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics you used...so delicate-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Julia, this is an extension of the technique I used for the tea cosy. I did sew two strips together and made them in pairs. But what you are doing now is a more sophisticated version. It has great potential. I borrowed by 60 deg ruler but I will put one on my shopping list when I see the next "Sale" sign somewhere. I just love the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing a great idea again Julia. Will look at the tutroial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greeat post Julia, I have never heard of tube quilting

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Julia i love you work..
    Hugs
    Deni

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so great Julia, the 60 degree ruler is a good one for so many blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 人生的價值以及他的快樂,都在於他有能力看重自己的生存..................................................

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks good. I found some large strip blocks I made years ago and have no idea what the plan was. Now I will cut them. Thanks for this great idea Julia!
    Jossie

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks lovely, Julia. Thank you for sharing your tutorial on it:)

    Your roses in your sidebar are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is a nice trick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun new idea! Thanks for directing us to the tutorial and inspiring us with your own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! An interesting cutting idea, I'll have to check it out...thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What elegant fabric choices Zelda had made - beautiful bag!
    Hugs,
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥