Tuesday, July 14

Tut...Matching and Joining Backing Seams...

In the preparation of loading my C&CC quilt on the frame, I needed to join up the backing fabric as it was too small...Here's a great tip that dear friend Lynnie shared with me...I thought it might be useful to some of you... This works great on big print fabrics!
First lay your fabric out to see where you would like to match up the design, pick somewhere that stands out to you and will be easy to see as you go along...

I have chosen the pink flower and acorns near the little bird...
Lay fabric down right sides together, fold back the top fabric to where you want to match up the design and pin in place over the underneath fabric...you may be able to see that I have pinned the match in place just enough to cover the flower , but leaving the acorn exposed,....do this all the way down the length of the two fabric pieces...
Now stitch down through the three layers on the fold staying as close as you can to the edge of the fold....
Open up the two stitched pieces of fabric and lay flat as shown above...
Cut away the excess fabric on both sides of the stitching, leaving just a half inch seam allowance on both sides...
I hope you not confused by now and are still with me...please email me if you need help...
Turn to right side and press the seam flat....
You can just see where I've joined it, and it's a perfect match.... the stitching in on the underneath and not visible on the top..
Here it is again, photo taken slightly on an angle, all pressed and lying nice and flat...
I hope it makes joining and matching fabric that little bit easier for you...
Thank you Lynnie...I remembered how to do and it worked a treat!.....♥

21 comments:

  1. thank for sharing that great tip and the fabric is my all time favourite, have fun quilting

    cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia for a great tip on joining backing fabric. I can't even see the join after you did it. Enjoy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial! Thanks for sharing, I know I'll be using this technique often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's a great thing to know. I didn't. I'm going to re-read this more than once. It's like an article in the magazine. For free though! :)

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Julia, I never even gave a thought to matching the back but now I will. Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to you and Lurline - can't even see where it was joined! Have fun sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Lynnie and thank YOU for passing this forward- I will try this next time! Like matching wallpaper. Love it!
    Paulette :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not worry about matching up the backing design but can see that it looks very nice. I recognize the fabric. Must have had some but only a small piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an awesome tip, and your seam has disappeared. The fabric is beautiful. Your attention to detail must be part of why your creations are handcrafted and mine are homemade. I wouldn't have even thought to try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tip. Perfect match. Have fun quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Julia for that...I will try to remember it for a quilt I am doing...it will be the first backing I would have sewn...Dzintra♥x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really handy to know ... thanks Julia :o)
    Hugs,
    Joy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the tip. I always do it when clothes sewing but never thought about it when quilting. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great tip! I will definitely use it!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tip!! I posted a link to it on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-matching-patterns-when-piecing-fabric/2009/07/15/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very clever, thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic tip! I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now stitch down through the two layers on the fold staying as close as you can to the edge of the fold....

    So i did this much and now i am stuck because you say stitch on top of layers very close to the fold, and when opened, the seam won't show because it will be underneath.

    You have to excuse me because i am a new sewer.....only purchased my first sewing machine 3 weeks ago.

    My question is if you sew on top of the layers, won't the seam be visible when the fabric is opened up.....right sides up (won't you see the seam?)

    Thank you
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi ...... it's me again (Lambshots......aka......Marg) I just wanted to give you a link to view what i have done by following your instructions. You can see where i have my fabric pinned.

    Tnx again
    Marg

    http://cid-6757d834cbfdbe58.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Trouble%20joining%20patterend%20fabric%20for%20my%20valance?nl=1&uc=3&isFromRichUpload=1

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm right there with the last commenter. I can't figure out how the seam doesn't show. It does... Obviously I'm doing something wrong but don't know what. What is going wrong? So frustrated...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥