Friday, June 19

Old School Cook Book...Golden Wattle.

The old and the new...
I was just over visiting Miri who posted about a lovely old 1800's cook book she was given, so interesting, lovely post to read, pop over....
Reminded me of my old 1950's school cook book..of course not as old as Miri's, but I thought might be fun to share with you....I know, mine looks a bit disgusting, but I love that old cook book, I even bought a new one the same to replace it, now in metric, but it's just not the same...I still like to use the old much loved one!..
The rolling pin was a wedding present...47 years ago, Hmmm, I wonder what they were thinking.
At the time, I didn't think it was much of a wedding present, but it has served me well, many a pastry it has rolled out and also much loved.
Those that know me, know I don't like cooking very much, not like my chef son Joe-da-Chef where cooking is his passion...I don't know where he gets it from..
This was the family's favourite dessert on a cold winter's day...Date Steamed Pudding....Oh dear, I'm a bit embarrassed by the state of the book, but I'll never throw it out...even my DD Linda said she wants it to keep herself, when I'm finished with it....could call it a family heirloom..Lol!
It's raining at last...good day to stay in and sew..maybe a little Dear Jane maybe not..Until next time, take care....♥

16 comments:

  1. What a heart-warming post Julia. I like rainy, cool days now and again to look through old cookbooks. We have many that look just like yours. It just means it's a well loved book! I did not realize that you don't particularly like to bake. The older I get, the less I like to. Eating out sure is nice!!!
    Hope you will have a nice weekend and get lots of sewing done. Wishing you and your family well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very well-worn old cookbook, too.......and it has some of my favorites in it, so I will keep it until "the end"....LOL I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a cookbook that looks like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have lots of old recipe books I can't get rid of, some of my MILs that were handwritten during the war, so indeed precious. My daughter also forbids any action except giving to her, so they must all be the same thankgoodness. It's nice to think that the next generation is still interested.
    Big Hugs, lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful, I too have my old school cook book given to me by my mother inlaw 30 years ago in August. I also have hers, must put them on my blog, mine looks really really well used.

    cheers
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I treasure my Mother & MILs recipe books & files they handwrote out. Love this post ... TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  6. The old recipe books are wonderful - another one of my treasures, too - Dad kept one of mine I hand-wrote while I was still at school!
    Hugs - Lurline♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Julia!!! I love old and tattered cookbooks almost as much as I love stitching. The more smudges and love it has the better as it means it is a good one to keep!

    YEs, they are heirlooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://chookyblue.blogspot.com/2008/05/do-we-have-smelly-internet.html

    Hi Julia you can see mine here........I cut my nans rolling pin off a bit in the pic but my nan's scone cutter was also in the pic......total treasurers.......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia
    Don't be embarrassed about your cookbook. It means that many wonderful dishes have been made. It has far more character than that new one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...good to see your old treasure...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The marks on the book just show it has helped make many delicious dishes...what more can a cookbook ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I taught Home Ec for 30 years. I too have my cookbook and all those reliable recipes from the 50's. Looks like many mouths have enjoyed your favorites over the years. A grease stained and splattered cookbook is a sign of a good cook. And the rolling pin ... that was the only thing that my sister and I had to toss a coin for when our mother died, everything else we easily compromised.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love old cookbooks! I have one that is over twenty years old...It is wonderful!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing can replace a cherished cookbook...those great old recipes have no equals! My mother used hers until the pages were slipping away from the binding. Fortunately, she made some handwritten cards for my sisters and I for some of our favorite recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These old cookbooks are so meaningful Julia...I love them, Dzintra♥x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really made me smile with this post. I recently posted about my old handwritten book, & showed it's disgusting state! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥