Saturday, May 2

Vintage Linen...Mum's

Jenny of Elefantz has posted about some old vintage linens that she has been collecting and rescuing, I thought Jenny might like to see these that were my mother's...

My mum passed away thirteen years ago this year...not a day goes by that I don't think of her.
My DD had helped me sort out Mum's things...Linda took some of Mum's things , and I took some home. Linda had this pair of vintage pillow shams put away and simply forgot about them until just recently. I was so happy when she gave them to me, they have yellowed a bit with age, but I'm sure a good soak will freshen them up and whiten them a bit...even the back of the shams has a cut out embroidery in the corners..

This table cloth was also among Mum's things...I can tell from the back that it's hand cross-stitched with cotton crochet inserts...I haven't used the cloth yet for fear of it getting stained...

Have a lovely weekend.
Off to do some more on my Layer Cake Quilt..I really must find a name for this quilt...♥

12 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to have such wonderful memories and momentoes of your mom. Lovely linen!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very nice that you have these things. I don't have any nice things from my mother or grandmothers....and I envy those who do. I think your mom would want you to use the tablecloth, though...even if it does get a stain. OR...maybe you can put it on a table and take it OFF when the table will be used for eating. I'm sure she intended for the cloth to be SEEN when she worked so hard on making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your Mother's beautiful linens Julia. How very beautiful and what special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely things to remember your Mum by .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are indeed lovely. Wow! Enjoy the layer cake quilting time. *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julia, I would use that tablecloth on my table..but I would cover it with a bit of good quality plastic..that is clear..I used this technique for years when the girls were sloppy eaters..I could show off a table cloth and not worry about spills.. I got my clear plastic at the local dime store.. at that time also sold the old oilcloths.. I cut the edges and made them oval..just a thought! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What precious things that hold great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are lovely linens. And isn't it nice to have these things that remind your of your dear mother?
    Blessings to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julia, I was also the recipient of my Mum's linen and I treasure it. Lovely Linen and lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tablecloth is such a treasure... We sure miss our Moms when they are gone, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful memories Julia! I'm glad you showed them off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those old textiles. I have many bureau runners, tablecloths, and doilies that my grandmother made, and I treasure them. Does anyone do this kind of handwork anymore? I have a tatted tablecloth my grammie made too. Does anyone tat anymore?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥