Thursday, May 14

Quilt Show.....What a day!!

Oh my gosh....what a day!
Someone pinch me , see if I'm dreaming...I'm on cloud nine!
I don't know where to start...

I was awarded second prize in the category of 'Traditional Amateur ' for my Grandma's Vintage Garden quilt and received a lovely foundation piecing pack from "The Quilt Mouse"..it consists of four Cd's of foundation patterns and a pack of special weight foundation papers to print the patterns onto.
I was so excited to have won second place here, the presentations went on and just when I was about to leave, thinking it was all over, I got called up again...
Oh my gosh.....the same thing happened a couple of years ago with my Japanese quilt you can see here...

I was called up to receive another prize...I went up and they said I was awarded the prestigious award of 'Amateur Best Hand Applique'...... this award, which humbled me and felt very honoured to win was, to be guardian for a year of a framed piece of work done by a group of quilters called "Blackboy Hill Quilters".
This work is made up of fabrics from stash, that belonged to a lady called Val Meyerink, she was part of that group.
Back in 1998, Val died in tragic circumstances...I never knew her, but they say she was a teacher of p/work and enjoyed helping beginners to get started in the craft.
In her honour, her group made this framed work and each year it is awarded to someone to have custodian of for a year, they used to give a miniature one the same to keep , but as they have run out of her fabric, they now give a $100 gift in her memory, so I was given the work to look after for a year and the $100.
I am very humbled and honoured to be chosen again for this award....so much so I burst into tears when it was presented to me! Then again, when I thought it was all over, I was called up again .
This time I was awarded "The Thimblelady" award for best "Amateur Hand Quilter"..
Can you just imagine my surprise...I have trouble with my hands and don't really think I am a very good hand quilter, so this really did take me by surprise.
I was measured by Liuxin for a silver thimble...I'm not really sure what I'll get, because it will be mailed to me after the show...
I was so proud , humbled and overwhelmed by it all

Dear Lurline took these photos and sent them to me.... Dh who was in charge of the camera, I think was more excited than I was .....he had the camera on movie mode and so his photos didn't come out too good.
Thank you Lurline, without these lovely photos, I wouldn't have something to look back on...
.
Oh BTW...I also bought the "Happy Jack " quilting frame...one I could afford to play around with and practice ..

Down back to earth now ....I think I'll have to go back up to the show again tomorrow, as I didn't get to see everything I wanted to.....
Have a lovely day.... ♥

47 comments:

  1. Oh, Julia! I can't imagine how you must be feeling! I am so happy for you and I can see why you won such a wonderful award! You DO great work. I know I enjoy coming to your blog just to see what you will happen to be working on next!
    Congratulations and a great big hug to you!!
    How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sooo happy for you! What wonderful awards you received! You are certainly deserving...your quilts are amazing! Congratulations...enjoy these moments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia! That is absolutely wonderful!!! Congratulations on your awards and your quilts are beautiful so I'm so glad it was you that received these beautiful honors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on all your awards! I always enjoy your quilts and I'm glad you're getting the appreciation you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you! A big congratulations from me. Your husband and friends are thrilled for you, I can tell. A much deserved win. What a thrill to get the Thimblelady's award, I know the standard you'd have to have achieved for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I am so, so happy for you and how sweet of Lurline to take pictures for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia, Congratulations! I am so very happy for you. You must be so thrilled. What lovely pictures Lurline has shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATULATIONS JULIA!!!!!!

    I'm so happy for you.;D You know I'm a FAN of all your work so I know they picked the right gal for these awards.;D Enjoy them because you deserve it, and have a good time tomorrow.;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Julia, what a very talented lady you are! Well done. hugs B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! What a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, how wonderful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Julia, well deserved, what a wonderful day it must have been for you,
    big hugs, lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julia that's fabulous news!!! Your quilt is amazing and those awards are well deserved. Congratulations you clever thing :o)!!!!
    Hugs,
    Joy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY Julia!!!

    How wonderful that you were honored with such awards!! I have admired your work on your blog and am sure it is even more magnificent in person!

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julia,

    I am so thrilled for you - What a fantastic achievement and an inspiration you are - Congratulations and have fu with "Jack"

    ReplyDelete
  16. so exciting! I am thrilled for you.
    congrats!
    A day you will always remember
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Julia!!
    Congratulations to you.
    I can't think of a lovelier person to be awarded in this way.
    Your work and your quilts are stunning and very inspiring.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us!!
    I'm so glad you had your special friends and your DH there too!
    They must all be so proud and happy for you.
    I know I am and we haven't even met... yet *grin*
    big hugs
    Robyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations Julia!! You so deserve every award you get. Your work is just beautiful, as you are. I love the photos, & it is lovely to see you get recongnition for your beautiful work.
    HugsXX

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow a MASSIVE congrats on your awards.........well deserved.......

    ReplyDelete
  20. Julia, wow wow and wow, how fantastic for you to win two prizes! Congratulations and I am so thrilled for you and so proud to know you, the great hand quilter on the blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julia....congratulations and I have to tell you, I am not ONE bit surprised that you got all those awards. That quilt is a masterpiece and you are very deserving of all that you won for making it. Thanks for showing us the photos and telling us about your very special day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What A Fantastic Show for you Julia !!! Wonderful to see...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julia, I am very happy for you! You are so deserving of those prizes. All of the quilts you show on your blog are beautiful. Congratulations!
    Louann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Julia,

    This is a most wonderful and deserving award. I'm thrilled for you. Congratulations. Soak up the moment.

    You look beautiful by the way. Had to mention that!!!

    Love, *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow - how very deserving - your things are always beautiful! congratulations! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on all counts! Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Julia!! How absolutely wonderful!!!! Congratulations on such beautiful handiwork!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Three cheers to you and well done Julia.
    I am so pleased for you and well deserved.

    hugs
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  29. Julia, that is wonderful. I am so happy for you...I have always liked that quilt and not surprised that you won so many awards. I am so glad you enter your quilt, because just look what happened. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on the award! It was well deserved. Your applique was beautiful!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations Julia on winning the awards. You really deserve it. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are a very talented lady and I clicked to see your other quilts that were entered into past shows. It was interesting to see a variety of styles. You must still be on cloud 9 .....

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations, Julia. You deserve every award.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello :) I read your blog from time to time and wanted to say' congratulations' I really think you deserve your awards, enjoy !! I am so pleased for you :-))

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations Julia. You do such beautiful work that it comes to no surprise that you efforts have been rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations Julia, I knew that quilt was special, lucky you didn't leave early.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Julia,
    Congratulations on your wonderful achievements. I bet you couldn't get to sleep that night. I hope you get some wonderful material with your prize money. Enjoy Val's hainging for the coming year. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congratulations Julia...you must be so proud...Dzintra ♥x

    ReplyDelete
  40. WOO HOO!!!! Congratulations, Julia! You so deserve to be awarded for you wonderful talent and beautiful quilts! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Julia....goodness, that is just so amazing, congratulations, and your quilt is fantastic...you should be so darn proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Julia, Congradulations! I can so believe you won three awards! Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Julia! Way to go! You are the best! I love that quilt and knew it was special! So glad you entered it..and then won three awards..fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh how exciting! That is just wonderful news! Your work is truly beautiful and you deserve your awards!

    I am so glad that you got your frame!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hello Julia, congratulations on winning the three awards......well deserved....your work is truly beautiful........Warm Regards Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  46. Congratulations! Oh, wow, the joy and tears must surely have been overflowing. I'm sure you deserved all the awards, though. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  47. oh...that's great...congratulations....i'm so happy for you...and good to see your photo.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥