Wednesday, May 27

Aprons...do you use one?

Aprons are making a come back...I saw this apron in a craft shop in Adelaide at a CQ gathering a couple of years ago.
Look at all the ( chicken scratch) cross stitching in red and white on a black and white cotton gingham fabric.I don't know who made it, but I only paid $5 for it and it's brand new.
The minute I saw it, I had to buy it...it brought back so many memories of the times in primary school, when my girlfriend and I used to make, on an old treadle machine, pretty frilly aprons and aprons like this for the school fete.
Dear quilting friend Robin (no blog) sent these vintage patterns and the writing about the apron...I thought you might enjoy reading...

I don't think the young ones today would have seen an apron or know what an apron is.
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath,because she only had a few.
It was easier to wash aprons than dresses, and they used less material; but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ' old-time apron' that served so many purposes.
REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool.
Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.
They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs was on that apron.
I don't think I ever caught anything from an Apron. ...
I hope you enjoyed reading this, and perhaps brought back some happy memories for you too....

DD is coming for a visit today...doing lunch out sounds good to me...have a lovely day...♥

17 comments:

  1. I have always loved aprons - maybe cause Grandma wore one. How nice to get the lovely pattern for aprons.
    I sure hope you have a wonderful lunch with DD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vintage patterns. Boy, does that bring back memories. When I was first teaching Home Ec in the 60's-70's, I wore aprons everyday and the students too. By the time I retired, my classes were both boys and girls and I supplied the barbeque type aprons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old aprons and have been collecting them. Must show some of them off soon. Thanks Robin for the patterns and the write up. I think she (Robin) needs a blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read that apron write-up before and LOVE it. I didn't have anymore aprons in the house UNTIL I just won a really cute one made by another blogger...Rhonda. I got it in the mail the other day and it is wonderful. There are so many adorable ones out there now. Good thing to post about...you got a GREAT buy with that one you showed here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly did enjoy reading that. And it's funny you posted this today as aprons are making a big comeback. While I was at the quilt shop today, I bought some fabric and an apron pattern to make one for my daughter who said she wanted one in a vintage style! I think that's cute. She's 25 and trying to make a home.
    I know I used my aprons while raising the kids and my mother was never without hers. Isn't it nice that such wonderful, yet simple things are making such a big come back. I'm glad.
    Thanks so much for posting such a sweet blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love those old patterns! They're fabulous!!! I remember when I was at school the rule in home ec' was ... "no apron, no cook". I wonder if they still wear aprons at school now??
    Hugs,
    Joy
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is a really cute apron, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julia, I *love* aprons and I always wear mine to cook or clean. Blossom (at 15) always wears an apron in the kitchen too!
    I loved your post...so many beautiful things about aprons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank for bringing back memories of my mother and a couple great aunts. I enjoy seeing the interest in aprons, especially the vintage styles. They're a reminder of simpler times, and some days we need that reminder.
    I always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love aprons Julia...I always wear one in the kitchen...sometimes I can't resist buying them...think i should make some now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have an apron but your post sure brings back memories. One of the first things I sewed was an apron. It was in our first grade class. The girls hand stitched an organza apron with sequins for our mothers. The boys made little wood boxes. I had mine stitched before anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great old patterns. I love that description of apron uses. I were one occasionly but more often than not "regret not wearing one".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the history of the apron. I do occasionally use one myself. I have some new ones and a couple of my Moms. I remember my Mom and grandmother using their aprons for many of the uses you mentioned. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My grandma had a red and white chicken scratch apron. I have a few aprons myself and occasionally use them. Love the history of the apron. You're right - our granddaughters would go crazy over the amount of the germs on an apron.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Julia...that was nice to read about aprons. I love the vintage patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love aprons. I always cook in one but I sew in them and wear them around the house to putter. If I could get away with it I'd wear one to work. I love the pockets and how they keep my clothes away from food and thread! Vintage ones are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these apron patterns! I use aprons as it allows me to wipe my hands on my apron while I am baking so there is no need to go running for a hand towel. Keeps my clothes looking nicer too. These aprons are far prettier than the chef aprons that I have. I don't like the way that today's aprons hang around my neck. The style that puts it on the shoulder looks to be a nicer fit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥