Wednesday, April 29

Arrived At Last....Fabric of Society

Arrived at last...it's amazing...it's lovely to read about our Aussie quilt history.
There's so much to read, all in the one book...I'm so glad I bought it. I really knew nothing about our quilt history. It will be lovely to spend a couple hours on a cold wintry afternoon, rugged up in a quilt...reading the book by the warmth of the heater...

As most know, SRE is a passion of mine ....and as I have done lots of SRE and CQ, I thought it would be nice to just highlight a few of the Cq quilts.
Above is Martha Bingley's CQ quilt in diamonds, dates back to 1883

This is Aunt Clara's quilt, 1898.
Hand pieced by English paper method in satins, silk and velvets....embroidered by many hands....amazing!

This one is truly amazing..."Embroidered WW11 Army Rug", made by an army Corporal in a POW camp in Germany..1942-1945.
The needles that stitched this rug were fashioned from eyeglasses frames, fabric threads were pulled from old pullovers, socks, balaclavas, scarves, what ever he could find..
If you look closely at the rug, you may be able to see our Aussie animals, like the Koala, Kangaroo etc..

If you are interested in our Australian quilt history, this is a must buy book for you...
"The Fabric of Society" by Annette Gero...

We are having unusually warm weather for this time of year...I guess we should make the most of it while it lasts.
Until next time...♥

15 comments:

  1. Oh what fun, Julia! I have gotten me a couple of new ones too by Barbara Brackman. I do love her so. They will be good to take along on our next trip!
    Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would certainly enjoy that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely book...and I know you will get hours and hours of enjoyment out of it. There looks to be some really amazing quilts pictured there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful book for you to curl up with during the cold months. Look forward to you sharing more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you received a copy of The Fabric of Society. It is such a great book with history of Australian quilters. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous book, looks like a great read!!! I love finding out about old quilts.
    Hugs,
    Joy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a wonderful book! Enjoy all the patterns!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  8. got the book..........had a flick and need to sit down with a cuppa and read some.........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous book with fantastics photos. The WWII Army Rug is not only beautiful but truly powerful in showing how art can help us survive anything. Thanks for sharing this, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sensational book! Thank you for showing us through some of the pages, Julia. I may add it to my list of Xmas gifts (for me, that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I am so impressed by the crazy quilts you showed. Beautiful work. And, that army rug... took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't mind owning Aunt Clara's quilt or one like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That book looks absolutely amazing! I'm hoping that we can get it here in North America!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too have got this book Julia - as I work in a bookshop it is hard to resist these sorts of books when they come in - or any of the other books for that matter!!!! I have had mine on layby and I was just thinking today I need bring it home... Fabulous book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Julia - it is interesting that Marsha Bingly's quilt caught your eye as it is seening this quilt in the flesh as it were that made me think of and start the diamond block crazy quilt I am working on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥