Wednesday, April 8

Apple Core Tutorial...

I have had quite a few comments, where girls would love to do the apple core, but feel the curved seams would be too hard.....some even have the template, so why not give it a go!

I'll try to explain how I do mine....I like to do mine in the American piecing method without papers...this works of me, and it saves all that messing about with papers.

First trace around your AC template onto the wrong side of your fabric....my template has centre point marks on all four sides, I like to mark them onto the fabric as well...cut out the Apple Core (AC).
You may like to mark in the 1/4 inch seam allowances , I just eyeball the seam allowance, it works for me...if you do this, just make sure you are consistent with your seam allowance..

I like to snip along the inner curve of the fabric AC to allow for easy shaping when sewing the two together...
Pin the two AC's right side together, making sure to line up the centres and the ends, also put in another two pins in between those to hold them in place and make it easier for you to sew...

Start a 1/4 inch in from the edge... Just sew with a little running stitch, back stitching every few stitches, take the pins out as you go...finishing a 1/4 inch in from the edge....this allows for the next row of AC's seam allowance...


Press towards the inner curve...it just seems to sit better that way, and press each row as you go...much easier than trying to press too much later..

I hope I have explained it easy enough for you to have a go...it really is so much fun, use up your scraps, and have a beautiful quilt to enjoy as well....
Happy stitching....♥

14 kind people said..:

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

Great lesson! You really make it look easy! Thanks!

Pat said...

So you did your AC quilt all by hand?? I guess that might be easier than manipulating a machine around those small curves. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll put this back on my "to do someday" list. :)

Lindi said...

Thanks, Julia! I'll add that one to my to do list, too.

Shari said...

This is going to be another lovely quilt...

DiahRothman said...

Julia, thanks.
It sounds so simple. Try to give it a go one day. Thanks again!

Pequeñita said...

hi Julia!!
thank you for this wonderful lesson, for the beginners like me that makes it more easy to do it!
I would really like to know, how do you do, when you have finished the top for the couture with the other 2 parts?
Thank you again for your explanations and for make it to us more simple!!

MYRA said...

Great little tute there Julia! I love that template!!! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

Someday I will use this. Thanks for sharing.

bluebird-lyn said...

Hi Julia, Happy Easter to you and your family...thank you for the tutorial...Regards Lyn

Calidore said...

Thanks for the brilliant tutorial Julia. I had been wondering how you did it - now I might just have to have a go cause I do love the apple core pattern. Hope you and Reno had a wonderful Easter.

Robyn said...

Thanks Julia... this does look easy.
Yes I'd like to have a go someday too.

Chartreuse Moose said...

Thank you so much for this post! It reminds me that after drooling over this pattern forever...you make it look so doable!

denise said...

Hi Julia, I always enjoy reading your blog. Thanks. One question, as I am starting an apple core quilt this year.....do you need to separate lights and dark's, etc? Denise from Sydney.

Elin said...

Great tutorial! I wonder, have you tried to sew it on the sewing machine?