Thursday, May 1

My Grandma's Garden Quilt...progress

I'm back working on my Grandma's Garden Quilt...
I'm really keen to get this quilt ready for the hand quilting that I will be able to do in the evenings.

These pics are for Amanda who has started stitching some hexagons and is looking for inspiration.
Above is the centre block, a pretty 1930's style vase of flowers.
I stitched on a hexagon to the centre of the flowers, so that it would all tie in with the hexagons on the quilt

This is the quilt laid down on the floor, by taking a photo of the quilt and putting it up on the computer, gives me a better idea of what it looks like.
I have added a six inch border, on which I will applique with some more of the same flowers as in the vase...not sure yet how!
I'm also tossing up whether to add the little green diamond hexagons to the corners of the blocks....would it look too busy with them on! I'm thinking it would look too busy.
I would love your opinion on whether to or not add the green hexagons...

8 comments:

  1. I think the green hexagons would make the quilt too busy. I like the quilt. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia, I am just sitting admiring your beautiful quilt. I have been away, & have just returned. I love your new photo ID.
    Thinking of you.
    I visited an Aunt who does beautiful Crazy work, & thought of your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty quilt. Thank you for thinking of me. I love the vase of flowers - that looks like a good start for me, just on its own. I think adding more to the blocks could detract from the lovely clean lines of your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't care for the greeen hex flowers. I think vines with some hex flowers in the border would finish the quilt beautifully. I love your choice of setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I have decided to leave off the green hex flowers.
    The comments say to leave them off, and I think they do make the quilt too busy,as Amanda wrote... 'adding more to the blocks could detract from the lovely clean lines of the quilt'.
    Thank you everyone for your input.
    julia

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about applique the flower pot at intervals along the porber with 'stems' embroidered to one of the hex flowers in the middle...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grandmother's flower quilt is so pretty! I love the center applique - such a bright, springlike quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if it would be too busy, but I do like the clean lines of the top of the quilt without them. Love your center bouquet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥