Monday, September 17

Victorian Thimble Pouch Tutorial...


I made this thimble pouch to add to my hussif, I can't remember posting the tutorial for this before, as I have had an email asking about it.... here it is.

Requirements:
DMC #8 Perle Crochet Cotton
Size # 14 (2mm) Crochet Hook
Wooden Bead or Small Cotton Reel
Card to make tassel.

Ch….Chain
dc….Double Crochet
trc….Treble Crochet
sl st….Slip Stitch



With yarn on hook, ch 6, join in first chain with sl st to form a ring.
Round 1:
Ch4, work 17 dc in ring, join with sl st in fourth chain.

Round 2:
Ch4 (counts as first trc, now and throughout), trc3, * miss 2dc, trc4 repeat from * around, join with a sl st to first trc.
Round 3:
Ch4, trc3, * trc1, trc4 in middle of next group of trc.
Repeat from * around, join with a slip st to first trc:
sl. st to centre of next group of trc.


Diagram #1 the pouch will now start to cup.


Dia. 2

Repeat round 3,... 5 times until 8 rounds have been worked. Diagram #2.
Finish off and weave in ends,

Cut of a length of thread 2 metres long, fold in half and with the doubled thread work a chain 10 inches long.


Tassel: Cut a piece of card 1 ½ inches square, take a piece of thread approx. 6 inches long and lay across the top of card, wrap thread around the card 40 times and cut off.

Dia. 3

With the 6” thread tie the top of the tassel wraps as tight as possible, then carefully cut the threads along the bottom to release from card. Diagram #3


Dia.4

Take another piece of thread and tie around the tassel top, Diagram #4
Attach the tassel to the end of the chain thread.

Thread a bead or small cotton reel onto the chain, then thread chain through the top of the thimble pouch and then back through the bead or cotton reel.

This Victorian style thimble pouch makes a lovely addition to a hussif or a needle book...

3 kind people said..:

Gumbo Lily said...

This is such a neat pouch. I wish I crocheted. You do such beautiful work, Julia!

Jody

meggie said...

Thanks for that Julia. I will have to make one, to put in my sewing roll.

Barbara said...

Julia, I just wanted to say that I cherish the thimble pouch you made for me several years ago. It holds a special place in my hussif and will always be one of my special treasures.

I love the two hussifs you've made. I must admit the burgundy is my favorite.