Saturday, September 22

Lampshade Tutorial....FAQ !


I have over the last few months had emails asking about all the instructions for the lampshade ...apparently, not all the instructions come up when you click on the side bar, it could be because it was posted over several days...so here it is all in one post, and fix the link in my sidebar..

April, I emailed you the instructions, but unfortunately they bounced back to me, so I'm hoping you see this...please email me again and let me know.
I will now post all the info again, and hopefully the ladies that are interested in the tutorial will be able to make / finish their lampshades...

You will need:
Bias tape to wind around frame
Fabric ,
Braid to match fabric, (Measure frame to estimate how much you will need)
Bead fringing or normal fringing.
Quick clear drying tacky craft glue.
Lots of pins..



First off, start by covering the frame with the bias tape, this is so you will have something to glue the fabric panels to.

Next, take a piece of paper, big enough to cover one of the lampshade panels ...
Place over the panel....Press onto the wire panel to give you an outline for a pattern.
Cut out the paper pattern with an extra 3/4 inch (2.5cm) all around.
Now using this pattern...Cut out your fabric panels.
My shade has eight panels.
If your fabric has a one way design on it...Make sure you cut the panels all in the same direction....
Now for the fun part


Starting at the top of one of the panels.
Put some glue about 3-4 inches down on the covered wire panel ...
Take fabric piece and place in position...Pin fabric piece to the bias tape underneath, pulling taut out to the sides as you go...
Put plenty of pins in, about every 3/4 inch or so.
Work your way down the panel... Doing a little bit at a time...Each time making sure the fabric is pulled very taut.
Once you apply the glue, you will need to work fairly quick as the glue dries very quickly.
Now go ahead and do every second panel, leaving one undone in between.

When every alternate panel is done, put aside overnight to allow the glue to completely dry.
Remove the pins and with a pair of small sharp scissors carefully trim back the excess fabric to the frame.
This next stage is a little more fiddly as you now don't have the open panels to put your hand into.


Just repeat the same process as before for gluing and pinning the panels onto the frame, but be very careful not to put too much glue and have it swish out onto the next panel, just put a thin line of glue right on the frame rib..
Now leave the frame to dry as before....

The glue I used is almost instant drying, and it's dry in a couple of hours.
As before, when the glue has completely dried, remove the pins and carefully trim back the excess fabric to the frame.


Now, it's just a matter of gluing the braid on the shade.
Glue the braid down each of the ribs first, then...
When the glue on the ribs has dried, start and finish on one of the ribs.....glue the braid around the top of the shade....there is no need to use the pins on this stage...the glue will dry very quickly.
Glue the braid on top, so that it sits a little on both the front and over/ inside the frame.
Next, glue the braid around the bottom of shade...Make sure you cover the ends of the braid on the ribs.
Let the glue dry off again.... Then lastly glue on the fringing.
I like to glue the fringing around the bottom on the inside of the frame.I have seen the fringing glued underneath the braid, but if I want to take the fringing off for whatever reason, I can, without having to also pull off the braid....
It looks lovely as it is, but I'm tossing up whether to add some folded ribbon roses at the top of the shade ...
I do hope my instructions all made sense...Now off to do the other shade..
I thought I would answer a question that was put to me...
Do I line the lampshade covers?... No, I don't usually line it as I try to pick fabric that is not see through or flimsy, but I did line a CQ shade that I made for the "Through Your Eyes Challenge: If You Can Imagine It, CQ It", on CQMagonline. ... in 2005
You can see the lampshade above.
I did find it very tricky to do.
It had to be lined as to cover all the Cq thread and ribbon ends on the back.
All I did was...After I Cqed all the panels, I tacked a piece of lining fabric to the back of each panel and just glued the panels to the frame just as before.
Someone emailed that she had successfully used a glue gun to do her shade, I tried it but I found the glue a bit lumpy and the glue stick I used, did not dry clear, it was a bit yellowish, but if you find it easier to use a glue gun...check it out first, and if your happy with it, by all means do....

7 kind people said..:

Louisiana Momma said...

that is a wonderful idea and a great way to give new life to a lamp. I happen to have a couple that need some of that as they dont fit my current theme of rustic country. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.

Susan said...

Wow, you make it seem so easy! Your tutorials are a real gift to your stitching friends.

meggie said...

That is such a great tutorial! I have some frames I wanted to try recovering, so now I know what to do.
Thankyou Julia!

Charlene said...

What a beautiful project! It sounds so easy, but then you're doing all the work ;-)

Debbie said...

Thanks for the tutorial I love it.I did not know where to start and this is SO helpful Love your blog
Debbie Kelly http://somewereinstitches.blogspot.com

dollystar said...

maravilhosos seus trabalhos, parabéns Dolly

Sue said...

Great tutorial for the lampshade, thank you for sharing, guess what I will be looking for now....