Tuesday, August 28

My Sewing CQ...tribute to the humble sewing machine

The first block in my tribute to the humble sewing machine..

I thought I would piece this quilt up in the feed sack and 1930's reproduction fabrics, in keeping with the old treadle sewing machines....now I am not quite that old...truly I'm not!

The doilies were either given to me or bought in the Sunday markets and Good Sammy shops.
I was a bit hesitant at first at using such busy fabrics, because I feel that the stitching and work gets lost in amongst all the designs of the fabric...but I thought they would suit the theme for this quilt....another thing I did this time, was to piece the block onto some soft cotton batting instead of the usual muslin, I'm hoping it will give it a nice slightly puffed quilted look when finished.

With these busy fabrics, I think I will have to keep it simple and not do as much SRE as I would normally do, I will need to look at the embroidery on the doilies and work in with them.
The doilies in those days were normally embroidered with lots lazy daisy stitches, satin stitch and of course my favourite feather stitch..
I had the half Dresden plate left over from another quilt, so as it was already made up, it made sense to use it, ...I think it looks pretty good on here!

These are my two old vintage sewing machines...

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to use your doilies, the half plate piece looks good in there.
    I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your two machines look lovely. Have you restored the standing treadle? I ask, because I have my Grandmother's old Treadle, & it has got very dull & somewhat grubby over it's long & travelling life.
    The lovely 30' style fabrics will be nice for this quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥