Monday, July 30

Quilt As You Go....

I have been working on putting my DGSon's music quilt together and thought I would blog how I do this quilt-as-you-go method...there are most likely lots of ways to do it, but this is how I did mine...
The idea is to break up your quilt into sections, so that at the end of it all you do not have a great big quilt to machine quilt or hand quilt, if that's how you wish to go.
Either way it can be very hard and very tiresome on your arms and back.


First off the quilt has to broken up into sections, so you must put some thought into how you will break up the sections,...on this particular quilt I decided to make it up in three long panels the full length of the quilt.... a middle panel section and two narrower panel sections on the sides.
You must first piece the quilt in the sections you have decided on, sandwich the top, batting and backing sections , baste and quilt the sections in your chosen method.
Measure and trim back the sections , making sure they will all fit together nicely.


Cut a strip of fabric one inch wide, that you chosen as your top sashing, in my case I am using black homespun....now cut a strip of the backing fabric one and a quarter inches wide for underneath, the extra 1/4 inch is so you have a bit more to work with there later....you will see why then.
Pin the strips of fabrics down one side of a section...top sashing fabric on the front and backing fabric to the back..stitch them down with a quarter inch seam down the edge.

I then pressed the strips outwards, the way they need to go to join onto the next panel piece.
Place the raw edge of the top sashing strip only to the top of the next section and pin well


Now carefully stitch the top sashing strip on.... 1/4 inch seam again....In keeping your seams to the 1/4 inch, they will meet in the middle and lay flat.
Press the top and there you have your top sashing on,

Now it's just a matter of turning under the raw edge of the back strip and hand stitching the strip in place...
You can also add borders in this way, all that's left to do is bind the quilt and it's done...

This quilt is a queen bed size, so for me it was much easier and better to handle in this Quilt-as-you-go method

I do hope that you can understand how I did mine, please email me if you get stuck along the way....

Copyright..Ribbonwiz (c)


17 kind people said..:

loulee1 said...

LOL You make it sound so easy. Do we get to see a pic of the whole thing?

crazyQstitcher said...

The instructions are straightforward, BUT how do you get your quilting to match up PERfectly.

The quilt will be well loved for sure.

meggie said...

I liked those clear instructions, & will have to use that method as I have trouble now with my neck & shoulders. Thankyou for the tutorial Julia.

Susan said...

It looks so easy when you do it. It's so nice of you to post this with pictures. Thanks!

Gumbo Lily said...

I'm glad you posted this Julia. I just finished a large, bulky blue jeans quilt for my son and I *wish* I had put it together with this method. Next time, I will!

Thanks!
~Jody

Elly said...

Thank you for this tutorial Julia. I like the idea of using it with your Dear Jane project. That would be a great idea for me too as the thought of quilting a huge quilt by hand is very daunting.
Elly

rupr said...

It looks great. And I love those black and white musical prints.

Joan said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I'm busy making quilts from re-cycled jeans and find them hard to handle. The instructions were so clear, aided by good photos. What you said made so much thanks. Cheers, Joan. Bournemouth. U.K.

ruelme05 said...

I too used this method on a queen size quilt, but I had never seen this suggestion until now. I divided mine into blocks of 4 squares, quilting each section, and put them together in rows. I didn't think to do the borders that way, so thank you for the idea. Even though the quilting was a simple pattern on the border, there were a few spots where I had to stitch in reverse to avoid turning the whole quilt.

Barb said...

I like that, thanks for sharing.

日月神教-任我行 said...

徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,商標,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

Diane H said...

Thank you kindly for this. This looks like a wonderful way to not have to wrestle with larger quilts.
I will give it a try for sure.
http://sideroadstitcher.blogspot.com

Priscilla Kibbee said...

Everything old is new again. Georgia Bonesteel developed this method 30 years ago and wrote several books on it called Lap Quilting. Katie Masopust also makes her quilts this way. She demonstrates it on her excellent DVD.

anywhere_Smile said...

Though, it will take longer links jewellery but the results will be more long term links of london uk and sustainable.If you are targeting cheap links of london easier as well as less competitive areas you will links london bracelet obtain some high-quality links that will london links charms go on to grow over time. In the long run there is links of london watches sale more steady value from a few solid links coming from discount links of london rings quality sites than having hundreds of low-quality blog links any day.

pandoraing said...

pandora jewelry For the most part, ankle bracelets are cheap pandora beads casual accessories: they are best pandora beads sale worn on an ordinary day out having fun. Multicolored pandora beads sale anklets woven from fibers or threads look pandora glass beads great with casual sandals or flip-flops. However, ankle pandora bracelet bracelets made of fine-spun gold and pandora bangle silver make a beautiful tandem with fashion shoes, and Pandora necklace look great for formal events. There are many different kinds of leather bands available in cheap pandora charms stores now. For women, colored leather or pandora earrings suede bracelets and watch bands are popular.

Hanswife said...

I want to thank you for this tut I was able to complete two little quilts using blocks that my mother made in the 80's complete with that horrid polished cotton. Our cats are loving them,see my post here

http://hanswife.blogspot.com/2011/05/this-is-my-quilt-as-you-go-project-i.html

Julie Ann

cc said...

Thank you for this tutorial. I've been wondering how to do some different ways of QAYG. I did one king sized quilt with denim on one side and flannel on the other for my son. I made the same block over and over on the flannel side and used old jeans to make many different looking blocks the same size. I left the flannel side with ragged edges. It came out great. Now I have many quilts cut out for my daughter, one log cabin, very girly and don't want the ragged edges. This may work for me. Thanks again!