Saturday, May 19

Still Playing With Textiles....new purse


I am having so much fun, it's like opening a Pandora's box and a whole new world has opened up..
I'm rediscovering my old Janome s/machine and now I wonder why on earth I bought a new machine a couple of years ago when this old Janome is doing everything I want to do just now.

I had a lovely piece of olive green upholstery velvet and thought I would play at layering laces and fabric and see what I can come up with.
Once I started, that was it I couldn't stop....I have played with this for about five hours today and have this purse to show for it, made up to this stage so far, just needs a bit of finishing off and a shoulder strap/chain.

I just layered bits and pieces of velvet and silk fabric to match on a base fabric, found some green hand-dyed lace that was perfect for this and layered them all under the very fine black tulle...I'm loving the black tulle, it just seems to go so well and everything shows through perfectly without dulling the fabrics too much.
Then I stippled stitched over the lot in a bronze metallic thread.
I was inspired by the leaves on this site at the Thread Studio to try my hand at making some leaves, this is the result of my leaf making...still need to practice these, but I'm happy with this lot.
I attached the leaves to the purse flap, but I felt it still needed something more!
A few beaded tassels and a folded ribbon rose, I think adds a nice finishing touch.
This purse still looks a little Victorian, but can I now say that I am slowly moving out of my comfort zone...