Friday, September 1

Recipe Quilt Progress...


Terrible photo, three shots but still not a very good photo, here is an update on my recipe quilt..
You can see the progress photos here on flickr.

Just to refresh what this is all about...
My Tuesday's sane quilting group of ladies are each undertaking the making of a recipe quilt.
There are ten of us in this group, each one of us writes down on two separate pieces of paper two quilting "Ingredients"...eg. I may have chosen hearts and flowers...So that's twenty ingredients all up.
All these "Ingredients" go into a box...No one knows what the other persons have chosen for their ingredients.
Then once a month we draw out two ingredients, and we have to start putting together a quilt using these ingredients.
It helps if you have a rough idea of what theme of quilt you would like to make.
I have a rough idea of the type of quilt I will endeavor to make.
I have chosen soft romantic florals for this quilt...Some of the girls are going for a Japanese theme with beautiful Japanese fabrics.
We have now drawn out several "ingredients".. Log cabin, trees, flowers, foundation piecing, celtic knot, stars and curved seams.
I thought I would start with a central medallion, and work out from there.
This picture is what I have done so far..
I have needle turned the pot and the flowers for the flowers, if applique comes up it will take care of that too.
Next I stitched in the log cabin, then I had to add a curved seam and foundation piece, so I foundation pieced the fans and stitched them in a curved seam.
I stitched in two topiary trees at the sides by making yo-yo's for the ball of the trees, bias stitched trunks and applquied in the little pot.
Now to work out where to put stars and a celtic knot!...would the tree trunks pass for a celtic knot?
We meet again on the third Tuesday of the month, so I'll wait and see what comes up next..

2 comments:

  1. This is a very nice quilt so far, and the celtic design will certainely works great with your pot. What a good and original idea to make an "ingredient" quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great idea! I wasn't sure what the recipe part was about, so thanks for explaining it again. I'm not sure the tree trunks count. =) Unless the knot is under that part in the middle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥