Saturday, June 3

Covering a Lampshade...

Yesterday afternoon, I started to cover one of the two lampshades I've been meaning to do for some time...
Sandra left a comment that she too has a shade to cover and needed some courage to go ahead and do it...So here goes Sandra...It really is quite easy.
You will need:
Bias tape to wind around frame
Fabric , and braid to match fabric, (Measure frame to estimate how much you will need)
Bead fringing or normal fringing
Quick clear drying tacky craft glue
Lots of pins



First off, start by covering the frame with the bias tape, this is so you will have something to glue the fabric panels to.





Next, take a piece of paper, big enough to cover one of the lampshade panels ... Place over the panel.
Press onto the wire panel to give you an outline for a pattern.







Cut out the paper pattern with an extra 3/4 inch (2.5cm) all around.

Now using this pattern...Cut out your fabric panels. My shade has eight panels.
If your fabric has a one way design on it...Make sure you cut the panels all in the same direction....
Now for the fun part..




Starting at the top of one of the panels.
Put some glue about 3-4 inches down on the covered wire panel ...Take fabric piece and place in position...Pin fabric piece to the bias tape underneath, pulling taut out to the sides as you go...Put plently of pins in, about every 3/4 inch or so.
Work your way down the panel... Doing a little bit at a time...Each time making sure the fabric is pulled very taut.
Once you apply the glue,you will need to work fairly quick as the glue dries very quickly.

Now go ahead and do every second panel, leaving one undone inbetween.
When every alternate panel is done, put aside overnight to allow the glue to completely dry.
I'll post the next stage tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. Okay Julia, I have to be away from home tomorrow, but that lampshade is getting covered Sunday.....well started at least! I do have them covered with bias tape, so it'a a start! Do you line them?

    And sorry about the double post, I've had a difficult relationship with blogspot today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love the instructions for completing the covered lampshade? I have completed the every other section. What is the next step? Is the excess to be cut, please help, I would like to finish it in the morning.

    Was unable to find the next step instructions. My email is

    francewau@hotmail.com

    Thank you in advance

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. could i also have the rest of the instructions pls

    Thanks Lindi

    pumkin_pie698@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming by..I love and appreciate getting your comments, and I am thankful for my loyal followers...but please don't tag me...♥